MSCUA Announces Board, Recognizes Members at 2015 Convention
Posted May 28, 2015
MISSISSIPPI CU ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES BOARD, RECOGNIZES MEMBERS
Biloxi, Miss. (05/14/15) -- The Mississippi Credit Union Association held its Annual Meeting & Convention on May 14-16 at the Beau Rivage Resort in Biloxi, Miss. Attendance included almost 600 credit union professionals, volunteers & guests.
Along with the networking and education, another important component of this conference is the Business Meeting, which features an overview of credit union accomplishments over the past year, as well as committee reports and Board elections.
MSCUA board elections include:
- Three MSCUA directors were re-elected to a three year term: Katie Nelson, Mississippi Postal Employees FCU; Kathy Scarbrough, Navigator CU; and Ray Scott, Southern Mississippi FCU.
- Also elected to a three year term was Bo Pittman, Jr.
The MSCUA board officers are:
- Chairman James B. Smith, Jr., Singing River FCU
- Vice Chairman Billy Bridges, Mutual CU
- Treasurer Ray Scott, USM FCU
- Past Chairman John Gibbons, Triangle FCU
During the event, six individuals were given the state’s highest honor, induction into the Mississippi Credit Union Hall of Fame:
- Lionel Blum, Gulf Coast Community FCU, Gulfport
- Joseph V. Krebs, Jr., Navigator CU, Pascagoula
- Permelia “Pam” Murphy, Citizens Choice FCU, Natchez
- Jimmy Owen, Meridian MS ANG FCU, Meridian
- Roger Stuckey, Gulf Coast Community FCU, Gulfport
- James White, Gulf Coast Community FCU, Gulfport
Additional recognitions during the meeting included:
- Recognized for service anniversaries were McComb FCU (75), Biloxi Teachers FCU (50), Mid Delta FCU (50), MUW FCU (50) and Twin States FCU (50).
- Advocacy Awards, which recognize credit union’s legislative and political advocacy efforts, were also presented. Receiving a Magnolia Advocacy Award were Central Sunbelt FCU, Ferguson FCU, Magnolia FCU, Meridian Mutual FCU, MUNA FCU, Navigator CU and Singing River FCU. Receiving a Delta Advocacy Award were Gulf Coast Community FCU, Hope CU, Jackson Area FCU, Keesler FCU, Members Exchange CU, Mississippi Postal Employees FCU, Mississippi Telco FCU, Mutual CU and Triangle FCU.
- Jackson Area FCU received an award for being the top Credit Unions for Kids fundraiser last year.
- Members Exchange CU was recognized for their 2014 Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Program Award.
- Recognized for being nominated for Mississippi Credit Union Hall of Fame induction consideration were Marolyn Davison, Meridian Mutual FCU.
- John Gibbons, Triangle FCU, was recognized for 25 years of service on the MSCUA Board of Directors.
- Retiring director Dennis Florreich, Meridian Mutual FCU, was recognized for his service on the MSCUA Board of Directors.
- Clarence Hall, Jr., Issaquena County FCU, was recognized for his 2015 National Credit Union Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award.
- William Bynum, Hope FCU & Clarence Hall, Jr., Issaquena County FCU, were recognized for their 2014 induction into the African American Credit Union Coalition Hall of Fame.
The 2016 MSCUA Annual Meeting & Convention is scheduled for May 19 – 21 in Biloxi, Miss.