Hundreds Join MSCUA’S 75th Anniversary Celebration
Posted May 24, 2012 1 comments
Biloxi, MS – Hundreds of staff and volunteers from Mississippi credit unions were present to help the Mississippi Credit Union Association (MSCUA) celebrate their 75th Anniversary. The event, part of the MSCUA Annual Meeting held in Biloxi, Miss. May 16 – 19, was a celebration of the past with an eye on the future for Mississippi credit unions.
In addition to the traditional speakers and educational sessions, the special event included historical photo slideshows, videos with MSCUA members recalling events and moments of the past, and a take-home historical date & photo “album” featuring Mississippi credit unions.
“We were honored to have more than 500 Mississippi credit union staff & volunteers attend our 75th Anniversary celebration. The event was an opportunity to showcase the 75 years of association, collaboration & cooperation, which is the basis of our past and future success,” said Charles Elliott, MSCUA President/CEO.
During the event, the Association board was announced and credit union awards and recognitions were presented.
MSCUA board elections include:
- Re-elected to a three year term was Laurin Avara, Navigator FCU & Ray Scott, University of Southern MS FCU.
- Elected to three year term was Katie Nelson, MS Postal Employees FCU & Dennis Florreich, Meridian Mutual FCU.
- Elected to fill an un-expired two-year term was Brig Gen Richard Moss (Retired), Keesler FCU.
The MSCUA board is:
- Chairman Jimmy Smith, Singing River FCU
- Vice-Chairman Billy Bridges, Mutual CU
- Treasurer Ray Scott, USM FCU
- Executive Committee Member John Gibbons, Triangle FCU
- Members: Laurin Avara, Navigator CU; Sheila Bridges, MBHS FCU; Elmer Dickens, Gulf Coast Community FCU; Dennis Florreich, Meridian Mutual FCU; Brig Gen Richard Moss (Retired), Keesler FCU; Katie Nelson, MS Postal EFCU; Steve Pollman, Magnolia FCU; & Kaye Ray, Central Sunbelt FCU
Additional recognitions during the meeting included:
- Clarence Hall, Jr., Issaquena FCU, was given the state’s highest honor, induction into the Mississippi Credit Union Hall of Fame.
- Guylean Cooper, MS Valley Gas FCU, retiring MSCUA board member, was recognized for 18 years of service to Mississippi credit unions.
- Lt Col Dean G. Todd, USAF, Retired, Keesler FCU, Biloxi, retiring MSCUA board member, was recognized for 7 years of service to Mississippi credit unions.
- Oliver King, Magnolia FCU, was recognized for his 2012 induction into the Credit Union House Hall of Leaders.
- Statewide FCU received an award for being the top 2011 Credit Unions for Kids fundraiser.
- Keesler FCU was recognized for their 2011 Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Program Award.
- Advocacy Awards, which recognize credit union’s legislative and political advocacy efforts, were presented to Central Sunbelt FCU, Gulf Coast Community FCU, Hope FCU, Jackson Area FCU, Keesler FCU, Magnolia FCU, Members Exchange CU, Memorial FCU, Meridian Mutual FCU, MS Telco FCU, Navigator CU & Singing River FCU.
- Memorial FCU was recognized for their 50 year service anniversary.
The 2013 MSCUA Annual Meeting & Convention is scheduled for May 16 – 18 in Biloxi, Miss.
The Mississippi Credit Union Association is the official trade association for 87 credit unions in Mississippi that serve more than half-a-million members. For more information, visit mscua.com.